Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Chat Room

(Photo by Striatic, see flickr.com for restrictions on use)

You could say I was curious. It was late one night and I couldn’t sleep. So I quietly slipped into the computer room and tapped out a midnight path into cyberspace. I knew as soon as I arrived that I should just shut it down and go back to bed. But I was transfixed and wouldn’t leave.

There were others out there. Chatting and lurking. The words on the screen were ascending so fast I couldn’t blink without missing something. Before long, the “talk” turned ugly. Incendiary remarks were exchanged and lines drawn. There was an escalating parry of words as someone raged out of the “room.” I don’t know his name, but I’m fairly sure he wouldn’t answer to the name he was called.

It is with a sense of shame that I tell you where I went that night:

It was a Christian “chat room.”

To be continued…

If you are a seeker or non-believer... come on back... there's more to the story.

No comments: