Friday, November 17, 2006

A Servant's Heart


I love the Colleyville Public Library. They have a great collection of books and media, it’s true. But the thing I love most about the library isn’t a thing at all. It’s the people there. Mary Rodne and her staff are a truly incredible team. They supported us in so many ways while I was undergoing cancer treatment. It’s a privilege to call them friends.

A couple of weeks ago, I needed to talk to Melissa in Youth Services about something. Rather than consult my directory for the number (i.e., my pile of post-a-notes dating back to 1994…), I did a quick “google” for the number. I guess I was in rush, so I didn’t bother to bring up the whole document. I just took a quick look at the “google” summary that popped up and dialed the number. So, I was surprised when the familiar automated system didn’t engage and a man answered, instead.

“Hello,” he said.

“Oh…” I replied… “I guess this isn’t the Colleyville Public Library?”

“No,” he answered. “It’s the mayor.”

“The mmmayor?” I sputtered. “I’ve dialed the mayor! You’re not the Colleyville Public Library?”

“No, I’m the mayor,” he re-stated. “Can I help you with something?”

“Oh, no, sir! I have the wrong number! I’m terribly sorry! You are the mayor! And I have dialed the wrong number!” I exclaimed, no doubt blowing him away with my impressive regurgitation of the obvious.

“Maybe I can help you,” he said.

I’m thinking… what? The mayor wants to help me?

“Can I track down that number for you?” he continued.

Silence.

The mayor has put his ribbon cutting shears aside and is now serving as directory assistance and I am stunned silent.

I don’t know what I was expecting. But it wasn’t this level of humility and helpfulness from someone who probably has a big mahogany desk and city budgets to wrestle.

The mayor, it seems, has a servant’s heart. It was evident in this small thoughtful gesture. I was just some stuttering anonymous constituent who had crash landed into his day. He could have said “You’ve dialed the wrong number” and gotten back to city management. But he offered to help me.

There’s a beautiful bronze statue on the campus of Dallas Seminary that depicts Jesus washing the feet of Peter. God Incarnate stooping humbly to serve one who served Him. A model for all of us. The day I think I am too important to “stoop” to something is the day I am dancing with the devil.

“…For whoever is least among you all, this one will be great."
Luke 9:48

Question (for me and you): Who are we serving and why?


(Photo of Library Books for Babies kick-off featuring Colleyville Mayor David Kelly and some awesome Colleyville Public Library staffers, including Library Director Mary Rodne far right. My friend Melissa is wearing the red jacket.)

No comments: