Saturday, June 16, 2007

When I Grow Up, I Want To Be...?

I've been kind of wafting along for the past couple years logging time between cancer check-up's and it occurred to me recently that this is a rather skewed if not unsatisfying way to mark one's existence. I think there's a natural tendency to go "on hold" in the face of any serious illness. But the prognosis continues to be excellent and I think I'm ready to get a little more purposeful and serious about writing this Fall. I was contacted by a publisher several months ago about submitting a manuscript for a novel. I'm but four chapters into it feeling like a Martian in Lubbock... fiction is a dramatic shift for me. Nonethless, that opportunity has presented itself. So, we'll see. Maybe I'll post a chapter or two and you can tell me whether or not you like it!

As many of you know, I am a reluctant marketer. I'd rather write and teach than sell you something and the commercial success of any of this is beside the point. But moving forward, particularly as it relates to finding a good publisher for future books, is a function of how well one demonstrates a solid "platform" (publishing industry speak for: someone people want to hear from). So future books, blogging, etc. will be largely determined by God's will and your word of mouth.

If any of you are inclined to create a "listmania" for Little Sins, Big Problems or write a book review on amazon.com, that would be great: http://www.amazon.com/. If you enjoy the blog, you can forward the link to friends and family: http://www.sarahonderdonk.blogspot.com/.

Also, please keep me in mind as needs arise within your women's ministries for retreat and special event speakers. The topic that remains near and dear is: Enduring Life... By the Grace of God. It's a deep and reflective interactive seminar with Dr. Ramesh Richard's "Stars & Scars" as the centerpiece. Between my elementary schoolers and seminary study, I can only do a few of these during the school year, but if you are interested please feel free to contact me: sarah@sarahonderdonk.com

Have a great weekend, friends!

A writer's problem does not change. He himself changes and the world he lives in changes but his problem remains the same. It is always how to write truly and, having found what is true, to project it in such a way that it becomes a part of the experience of the person who reads it.

Ernest Hemingway

No comments: