Thursday, September 06, 2007

Evelyn Adams on Photography, Part II















Welcome back for more of my recent interview with professional photographer Evelyn Adams...

Sarah:

Hello, again! Thanks so much for chatting with us, Evelyn.

Evelyn:

My pleasure!

Sarah:

What makes a photograph beautiful?

Evelyn:

I guess it depends of who is looking at it. I take pictures of things and people I love, but while a baby picture looks amazing to me, to another, the "heroin chick" look... something I might find really disturbing... is what's captivating.

Mostly pictures with honesty, to me, are the most beautiful ones.

Sarah:

And that's what I see in your art. You capture these moments that are just so real. Nothing looks staged... just very natural. Or, as you say, honest. I love that.

You have some really interesting nature pics. I'm wondering if photographing nature influences your view of God?

Evelyn:

I am always amazed at the beauty around us that God puts in our lives. Taking a picture makes me take the time to enjoy and also be grateful for everything in my life. Capturing those small, precious moments of a child or a puppy dog just being themselves, not posed, seems to capture the essence of God for me... real, unfiltered and honest.

Sarah:

I had to get a professional picture taken for my book a few years ago and the photographer was telling me about a lady who had posed recently. She wasn't happy with the way she really looked and spent a bunch of money to get the image edited. They blotted out all her wrinkles and did some other stuff and when they were done, she had gone from, like, 63 to 23. She had the thing blown up real big and framed and proudly presented it to her husband. And his response was: "Who is that? Give me back my wife!"

Evelyn:

That's funny! Like I said, honesty is good!

Sarah:

OK... how about some tips for the non-professional?

Evelyn:

Digital or manual... it doesn't really matter. Choose your equipment according to your needs and learn it. Read the manual. Be patient. Most importantly, have lots of fun!

Sarah:

Thanks, Evelyn! Can someone contact you if they want to arrange a local family photo shoot?

Evelyn:

Yes, absolutely. You can send me an email at: studio@evelynphotography.com.

Sarah:
Evelyn's taking our family picture for the Christmas cards this year. She also designs and produces coffee table quality books for your families, graduating seniors, engagements, new babies, anniversaries, etc. which make for a truly special and unique gift. I'm proud to shamelessly promote Evelyn here... she has a real gift and a humble heart.

Check out Evelyn's beautiful photography here: http://www.evelynphotography.com/

No comments: