Saturday, September 29, 2007

Sign, Sign, Everywhere a Sign...

A friend from seminary e-mailed recently and asked me what the Spirit's ministry of illumination has revealed lately. I thought this was a great question. I have sensed, as I contemplate some interesting "coincidences," that the Holy Spirit is teaching me something. As I was reading Scripture this week, I locked onto something in Genesis that made me think about how we process our experiences and encounters with God today.

Genesis 24

Abraham, who is now very old, has dispatched a loyal servant to return to his homeland to fetch a good wife for his son, Isaac. As he approached the city of Nahor, the servant stopped to rest by a well. There he prayed for God's guidance, then proposed a scenario that would serve as a kind of "signal," helping to identify the right woman.

I will say to a young woman, "Please lower your jar so I may drink.' May the one you have chosen for your servant Isaac reply, 'Drink, and I'll give your camels water too.' (Gn 24:14)

Before he had finished praying, Rebekah approaches with a water jug on her shoulder. Abraham's servant ran to meet her and asked for a sip of water.

"Drink, my lord," she replied, and quickly lowering her jug to her hands, gave him a drink. When she had done so, she said "I'll draw water for your camels, too..." (Gn 24:18-19)

So, do you think this is a sign? At this point, I can imagine that Abraham's servant wanted to break into song. To whip out the Williams Sonoma gift registry forms. To hash out the guest seating. To settle on beef, shrimp or chicken entrees. But, what did he do?

Silently, the man watched her with interest to determine if the LORD had made his journey successful or not. (Gn 24:21)

So, Abraham's servant has been given a very strong "sign," yet he moves forward patiently. He wants to be sure.

Something to think about, perhaps, as we process our own experiences with God today.

On my iPod... Another Layer by Jon McLaughlin

No comments: