Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Toni Trueblood on Life After Pain, Pt III

Christian counselor and radio personality Toni Trueblood recently shared her thoughts on surviving the loss of our pets. We left off with a question for Toni about the best advice she would offer someone mourning this type of loss...

Toni:

Talk about it. Grieve, grieve, grieve…and memorialize the pet somehow. If you can’t manage it anymore, call me. I care very much.

Sarah:

I know you care. When my dog dies, I will be your What About Bob? patient (Do you remember that movie? Funny!) But Ruthy's pretty much always with me. She follows me around the house. Actually, she left my side briefly the other day. My parents sent us a piano last week. It's been, I don't know, 30 years since I've practiced? I was attempting Moon River by ear and Ruthy left the room. But, short of this kind of torture, she is a most loyal friend. Do you think we could all take a lesson on loyalty from our furry friends?

Toni:

Yes... and many more lessons, may I say! Unconditional love being the biggest! (Say, can you teach me to play the accordion?)

Sarah:

No, sorry. I'm struggling with Chop Sticks on the piano. (The accordion? Toni, I'm not sure your dogs will like that.) You know, my current professor is a dog lover? I sense he has hope if not optimism that we will see our beloved pets in heaven. Thoughts on this?

Toni:

Oh yes! Theologians argue a lot on this, but here is what I think: Scripture is silent as to whether pets are without a doubt in Heaven. The pets die, but the love does not. Because the love goes on…our connection to our beloved creatures is not broken. I think somehow we will be together…but perhaps not in Heaven itself…because I believe that heaven is not our final stop. It is reigning with Christ in the new Creation. And animals will be there. Christ calls us to him for eternity, not just heaven.

Now, will the animals in the new Creation be our animals? Don’t know! Hope so!

Sarah:

Interesting thoughts, Toni. I hope so, too.

OK... How about some word associations!

Toni:

Ahh…a student of Carl Jung! Sure... go ahead! I love this!

Sarah:

(Don't give me too much credit there... I'm thinking it came from some place else... like People Magazine!) OK!

Dogs and cats...

Toni:

Dogs... love, love, love, love. Cats…unusual!

Sarah:

Laughter...

Toni:

Never enough & healing.

Sarah:

Music...

Toni:

Bocelli. (as in Andrea) & Dr. Glenn Kreider at DTS.

Sarah:

I'm a Dr. Kreider fan, too! I remember a DTS Chapel where he talked about the theology of U2's music. I thought, wow... I get this!

OK, Toni! That's a wrap! Thanks for joining us!

Toni:

Oh, Sarah, thanks for the opportunity to fellowship online!



Toni Trueblood is the sunny voice from 94.9 KLTY radio. A Dallas Theological Seminary graduate, she also now counsels people who suffer. Her speciality areas are women's issues and pet grief. To learn more about Toni's ministry, you can visit her website here: www.tonitrueblood.com

No comments: