Monday, February 23, 2009

Move Over, Mr. Knight...


I read a review recently of a book called Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man by Steve Harvey. I'm not endorsing the book because I haven't read it. But there was an intriguing excerpt in People Magazine that's worth a second glance. According to the author, there are three ways to tell if a man loves you:

1. He professes it.

2. He provides.

3. He protects you.

I'm missing a bit of context here but I wonder if the author is onto something. For those afflicted by excessive Hallmark Hall of Fame sentimentality, it suggests that we are perhaps looking at our guys through lacy doilies and maybe missing the real virtues. Todd, for example, doesn't come charging through the back door after a hard day contemplating the outlook for energy on a big, old white stead with a rose between his teeth (well, not too often, anyway). This kind of behavior, Harvey might argue, "is not in his DNA." This sent me to Scripture to see what we can learn from Jesus.

The Biblical Husband

Husbands, loves your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her... (Ephesians 5:25a)

Much has been written about what loving one's wife as Christ loved the church means. While we will never appreciate in the mortal sphere what this utterly selfless love really implies, it serves as an ideal for human love... something to strive for. As I think about Harvey's three-point love grid, I wonder if Christ's love for the church sets the standard here.

Christ professed His love.

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. (John 13:34)

Christ provided mortal and eternal sustenance.

Jesus then took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed to those who were seated as much as they wanted... (John 6:9)

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world though him. (John 3:17)

Christ protected.

But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. (John 16:7)

So, ladies... if your husband is professing his love, trying in some way to provide for you, and protecting you, give him a hug today and tell him you appreciate all that he does!

Pic by One Lucky Guy... click here for restrictions.

No comments: