Thursday, March 04, 2010

I had a contractor out recently who informed me he usually works in er, um, well, higher-end neighborhoods. This was an outdoor matter so as we walked the perimeter of the house he had occasion to spy my brand new solar oven in the backyard. I'd come to a place of peace over the years at what our energy efficient lightbulbs do for my complexion (Johnny Depp's Alice in Wonderland scenes were shot in my kitchen.) In fact, I quite fancy certain green lifestyle habits. So, the contractor who works in much nicer neighborhoods took one look at my backyard kitchen and said to me: "What's going on back here?" To which I replied "Fixin' dinner!" I let him linger for a moment with the unsettling thought that Granny Clampett here just might have a squirrel in the pot before fessing up to a simple batch of chicken soup gently rolling to a boil under a brilliant Texas sun. All to say... it's a little unconventional... but the solar oven simply rocks. It was some of the best soup we've ever had! I did a bit of research and settled on the Global Sun Oven. In case you're interested, I bought mine here at a nice discount. Bon appetite!

On my nightstand: The Intellectuals by Paul Johnson... a fascinating survey of what motivated and shaped the hearts and minds of some of the world's most influential leaders. Just beware of teeny, tiny print...

No comments: